Monday, January 31, 2011

Debbie's Comforting Chicken


This dish is so named because it's my favorite thing to make for people who are sick. I swear this dish has healing properties. I was introduced to it by my friend Debbie Kelly back in about 1985. There I was, sicker than a dog, unable to even get out of bed because I had an inner-ear infection that affected my balance... And my best friend Deb showed up at my door with...(gasp)DINNER. A wonderful, fragrant, melt-y-cheesy dish of chicken-y goodness! Whether it was her kindness or the chicken itself, it made me well! Your family will love it too. Make it for someone who needs your love today...

Ingredients:

8 (half) chicken breasts 
1 pkg. real Swiss Cheese slices (anything that has holes--I use Kraft)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 C dry white wine
2 C Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing mix
1/3-1/2 C melted butter

Place 4 whole or 8 half chicken breasts in a greased baking dish. Slice swiss cheese over the top. Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1/4 C white wine (2-Buck Chuck is great for this). Spoon over chicken and cheese evenly. Spread 2 C Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing mix over the top of the soup. Melt butter (not margarine) and drizzle overall. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes--until brown and bubbly. This is best served the next day--reheated! Just put foil over the top.

Note: I usually bring this to people with a salad that has oranges in it (vitamin C) and a home-baked dessert with ice-cream (i.e. comfort food).

1 comment: