Monday, August 15, 2011

Firehouse Snickerdoodles



This wonderful Snickerdoodle recipe came from Katie Knox, who is married to a Scotts Valley Fireman. She used to bake these for all the Scotts Valley Firemen about once every three weeks. The firemen used to know that when the green cookie jar was filled, Katie had been there. Recently, her husband, decided to retire. So, Katie, bless her heart, baked cookies as favors for everyone at his retirement party. My husband gave me his and I immediately asked him to call her for the recipe. I am so glad I did! It is an adaptation of the recipe from Betty Crocker's original cookbook. Perfect for us cinnamon lovers!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C butter
1/2 C. shortening
2 eggs
2 3/4 C Gold Medal all-purpose flour
2 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/3-1/2 C sugar
2 t cinnamon

Directions:

Mix first 3 ingredients thoroughly. Blend next 4 ingredients together. Stir together with first mixture. shape dough into 1-inch balls. I use a 1-inch cookie scoop and leave them not quite level. Roll in sugar/cinnamon mixed together ( I use a paper plate to mix and roll). Shape into 1-inch balls (I use a 1-inch cookie scoop and leave them not quite level). If you want a softer cookie (which I like) refrigerate balls for at least one hour. Bake right away for a crisp cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment