Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tortilla Ole Casserole



When I got married, my dear cousin Robin had a beautiful bridal shower for me, and all the Robinson ladies brought me copies of their favorite recipes.  This one was from Vonda Breed who got it from her mother-in-law Edie. Yah, they have soup in them, but you can use lo-fat soup and lo-fat sour cream if you wish to lower the fat content. Chef Rocco Dispirito uses it in HIS recipes--so why can't we? I'm sure I don't need to tell you that for a busy week, a good casserole is a dream, because it's quick, easy, and makes lots of great leftovers for future meals. "Eat some Freeze some" is my motto. Yield:  feeds 8-10 depending on how many hungry athletes you have.

3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (I cook mine in a skillet with a bit of olive oil)
1 C sour cream (lo-fat?)
1 can green chilis
1 can (lo-fat?) condensed cream of mushroom soup (or make 10 oz. thick bechamel sauce with salted chicken stock)
1 can (lo-fat?) condensed cream of chicken soup (ditto above for alternative)
1 1/2 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 can pitted olives (optional)
1 onion, chopped
6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips

Mix sour cream, chilis, olives, soups and onion. Put a layer of sauce on bottom of a greased 12X14 inch pan. Layer cut tortillas, then layer chicken, more sauce, and cheese, ending with cheese. I always add more cheese on the top than the recipe calls for--but I love cheese! Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, it's best if cheese is bubbly and starting to turn brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment